Police FAQs


When should I call 911?

In Canton Police you should call 911 anytime you need police or fire dispatched to you, or your home or business. There is no non-emergency dispatch phone number.

 Cherokee County 911 Emergency Communications Center, handles both emergency and non-emergency dispatch calls for our public safety responders.

For example, if you see suspicious behavior, but it's not a crime in progress, call 911. Or, if you're the victim of identity theft, call 911 and a police officer will be dispatched to you to make a report.

The CPD main administrative number at 770-720-4883 (Mon-Fri, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.), however, remains your point of contact if you need a copy of a police report, a background check or if you have a general question about the CPD or any of its Community Service programs.

How do I file a police report?

There are two ways to file a report with the CPD:

Call 911 and an officer will be dispatched to your location (must be in City limits of Canton) to take a report, or Come to CPD headquarters at 221 East Marietta Street Canton Georgia 30114. Stop at the Records Department window in the lobby and ask for an officer to meet with you and take a report. You cannot file a report over the phone.

How can I obtain a copy of my police report?

Reports are usually completed within 5 business days. You may pick up a copy of your report at the Police Department (address listed above). We do not fax police reports.

Is there a cost for police reports?

Yes. Accident reports are $5.00. Incident reports are $2.00.

How can I speak to the detective/investigator assigned to my case?

Call 770-720-4883 and your call will be directed to the right person.

Do you do background checks? How much do they cost?

Yes. You need to fill out a form at the police department and present a valid government-issued ID. Background checks cover the entire state of Georgia and are generally ready for pick up after filling out proper paperwork. The cost is $25.

Can I get my fingerprints done at the Police Department?

No, not at this time.

Can I get a TPO (Temporary Protective Order) at the police department?

We do not issue TPOs. These are issued by the local Sheriff's office where the person you are filing against lives.

How can I contact the jail or check the status of someone arrested by the CPD?

Arrestees are taken to the Cherokee County Jail, at one of two locations:

  • Cherokee County Jail:  678-493-4200; 498 Chattin Drive Canton, Georgia. 
  • North Annex (at Alpharetta Jail):  404-612-3432 or 3434; 2565 Old Milton Pkwy, Alpharetta, GA 30009.