The City of Canton Municipal Court provides an accessible legal forum for individuals to have their court matters heard in a fair and efficient manner while providing a high level of integrity, professionalism, and customer service. We are adding a probation division within our Court Department. This new position will require hiring an experienced Probation Officer who must have five (5) or more years of experience as a probation officer and possess a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
This position is responsible for providing community control supervision and case management of misdemeanor offenders sentenced by the City of Canton Municipal Court. The Probation Officer is responsible for the enforcement of all court orders and terms of probation. Some duties include but are not limited to clerical and customer service support for operations of the Municipal Court, including collections of fines, cash bonds, certified copies, and online payments, balancing of cash drawer, preparing documentation and maintenance of accurate records; provides essential supervision to all assigned probationers; processes dispositions of citations and court documents for docket; completes probation intake process with probationers; screens and processes all assigned incoming cases through disposition; maintains strict confidentiality of all probation records; ensures the quality of case management; attends all required court hearings; maintains accurate documentation; prepares various documentation for presentation to the Judge for signature; reviews all assigned cases at a minimum of once per month; provides responsible supervision for all court-ordered community service conditions and follows up on the completed hours worked; investigates suspected fraudulent reports of community service work completed; skillfully administers alcohol/drug screening procedures; assists in auditing Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) and National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and certification reports generated by Court Administrator; copies citations and reports for attorneys when a discovery is submitted; collects fees for videos of discovery; prepares various written reports; attends meetings with representatives of other agencies; performs related duties.
• Knowledge of Municipal Court policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of Misdemeanor Probation Oversight Unit (MPOU) policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of Georgia Technology Authority (GTA) policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) and National Crime Information Center (NCIC) policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of legal forms, documents, and terminology.
• Knowledge of customer service principles and practices.
• Skill in interpersonal relations and dealing with the public.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Ability to stay calm in stressful situations.
• Ability to exercise good judgement in different types of situations.
• Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
• Must possess a Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in a
course of study related to the occupational field.
• Requires five (5) or more years of experience as a Probation Officer.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
• State of Georgia Probation Officer Certification.
• Health, dental and vision insurance
• Life insurance for each employee
• Long term disability for each employee
• Direct deposit
• Retirement plan
• Paid Time Off (PTO) is provided to regular full-time employees to be used for vacation, personal illness, illness of an immediate family member, or other personal business.
• 11 paid holidays per year
Starting salary for this position is $45,000.00 annually dependent upon qualifications & experience.
Apply now below or submit a paper application (download document here).