Wastewater Treatment Plant Expansion Public Meeting
Public Notice: Wastewater Treatment Plant Expansion
January 9, 2018
The City of Canton hereby gives notice that a public meeting will be held to discuss the City’s Wastewater Treatment Plant Expansion Project on Tuesday, January 9, 2018 from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at Canton City Hall, 151 Elizabeth Street, 3rd Floor, Canton, GA 30114.
The City of Canton currently owns the Canton Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) located at 1078 Marietta Highway, Canton, GA and Utility Partners, LLC operates and maintains the facility on behalf of the City. The expansion of the existing WWTP is needed to meet demand for wastewater treatment services, maintain regulatory compliance, address system reliability needs, address residential and commercial growth, and meet the goals as outlined in the Metropolitan North Georgia Water Planning District’s Wastewater Management Plan (June 2017 and Amendments) that defines long-term strategies for comprehensive wastewater management across the region.
The proposed facilities for the expansion include:
• Additional grit removal equipment in the existing headworks
• A new control building and laboratory
• Additional biological process tankage
• A new tertiary treatment system consisting of a rapid mix/flocculation tank, plate settlers, and new filters
• A new disinfection structure
• A new post aeration tank
• A new solids handling facility, including aerobic digesters and a sludge dewatering building
Final treated effluent will be discharged to the Etowah River through the existing outfall and dewatered sludge will be hauled off site and disposed of in a landfill. The total capital cost of the improvements is estimated to be $38.2 million.
The purposes of the public meeting are to:
• Inform the public of the need for improvements to the City of Canton’s Water Pollution Control Plant.
• Comply with the requirements of the Georgia’s Rules for Safe Drinking Water and with the public participation requirements of Georgia’s Drinking Water State Revolving Fund Environmental Review Process, should the City elect to fund the project through GEFA
• Encourage public involvement in the development of a plan to improve the wastewater treatment system.
During the public meeting, the City of Canton will identify the current conditions and potential environmental impacts associated with the expansion of the wastewater treatment plant. This information is included in the Environmental Information Document, which is used for planning the proposed changes to the treatment plant. The Environmental Information Document can be found at http://www.cantonga.gov/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=22999 or is available for public inspection through the date of the public meeting at our Engineering Department office 151 Elizabeth Street, Canton, GA during normal business hours from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 pm.
Your participation is encouraged and considered essential to the selection and development of the final plan to be adopted prior to its approval by the State of Georgia, Department of Natural Resources.
For additional information, contact David Hatabian via e-mail at email@example.com or at 770-704-1513.
When: Tuesday, January 9, 2018
Time: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Where: City Hall, 151 Elizabeth Street, Canton, Georgia, 30114
Event Type: City Mayor & City Council, General Meetings