The brick historic Canton High School Building was built in 1924 at 110 Academy Street in Downtown Canton as the first high school serving Cherokee County. During the early 1900s, students from outside Canton who sought secondary education could attend by paying tuition. Some students rented rooms at one of Canton’s boarding houses for the term and the L & N Railroad ran northbound and southbound trains two times daily which helped students outside Canton attend high school. Canton High School served as the only high school for Cherokee residents until Cherokee High School was built in 1956.
The former Canton High School building became Canton Elementary School until 1974. In 1999, the building was considered for
The Mayor and Council of the City of Canton purchased the historic property from the Cherokee County Board of Education in April of 2018. This purchase included the building, restored over a decade ago by the Cherokee School District, as well as the parking surrounding the building and an additional parking lot at the corner of Archer Street and West Marietta/Church Street with 62 parking spaces that would be preserved for public parking.
The newly acquired building has been repurposed as the new Canton City Hall. The building contains one of the best public meeting rooms in the County in the former Canton High School Auditorium, previously used as the District's Board Auditorium.
“Once again the City of Canton has preserved and will repurpose a historic building in our downtown. This purchase not only helps preserve the historic character of our City but also provides essential space for our City government as the demands of our growing population continue to increase,” said Canton Mayor Gene Hobgood.
The prior location of the Canton City Hall, 151 Elizabeth Street, was beautifully preserved by the City when it was purchased from First Baptist Church of Canton over a decade ago. This facility will receive slight remodels and serve as a new City of Canton Public Safety and Municipal Court Building. Canton Police operations will move from approximately 10,000 square feet located in the old post office on East Marietta Street to a building with nearly 30,000 feet. These projects will be paid for utilizing funds from the SPLOST VII approved by voters last November, which included nearly $7 million for General Government Buildings.
The former Police Department building on East Marietta Street will be repurposed in the coming months, though no announcement is currently ready. The parking around this facility, nearly 40 spaces, will be opened to the public for additional public parking that is more accessible to downtown restaurants and shops.
Click here for directions to 110 Academy Street.